Eyewash Station Distance Requirements
Employee safety is an important responsibility that extends beyond simply having the right equipment. When an accident happens, the right equipment must be installed properly in order to provide the type of emergency treatment capable of avoiding serious injury.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) refers employers to The American National Standards Institute’s (ANSI) standard Z358.1 specifically to address minimum selection, install1ation, operation, and maintenance requirements.
The key components of ANSI/ISEA Z358.1 for eyewash measurements include:
Guardian G1814P Wall Mounted Emergency Eyewash Station, Plastic Bowl
Critical Dimensions for Plumbed and Self-Contained Eyewash Equipment
• Eyewash safety stations must be installed within 10 seconds or 55 feet from the hazard.
• The spray pattern must measure between 33”--53” from the floor the user will stand on (section 5.4.4).
• Nozzles or spray heads must be at least 6” away from a wall or any type of obstruction (section 5.4.4).
• An eyewash gauge should be used to determine the correct flow pattern (section 5.1.8).
Bradley S19-120 Horizontal Drench Shower w/ SpinTec Plastic Showerhead
Critical Dimensions for Plumbed and Self-Contained Emergency Showers
• Emergency shower safety stations must be installed within 10 seconds or 55 feet from the hazard.
• The showerhead must measure between 82”--96” from the floor the user will stand on (section 4.1.3).
• By the time the flushing water is 60” above the floor, the sprayhead pattern must measure 20” in diameter (section 4.1.4).
• The center of the sprayhead must measure at least 16” from obstructions (section 4.1.4).
• The activation valve distance from where the user stands must not exceed 69” (section 4.2).